Gratitude

Yes, I'm an Oingo Boingo fan.
Yes, I love this song.

Yes, I have so much to be grateful for.
Like, laugh lines.
Stretchmarks. Wrinkles and crinkles.
Skin that sags more than is supple.
Freckles on my face.
Memories of all the joy and happiness
and sunshine and laughter-
mixed-with-seaweed
and sea foam.

Aches and pains,
callouses to remind me
how far I've come, where I've been,
and "miles to go before I sleep."

Tears, heartache, sorrow, loss, pain.
Isolation, loneliness. Fatigue. Loss of hope.
Loss of love. Loss of family. Loss of friends.
Holding hands with ones who pass
from this dimension onto the next,
leaving me behind to mourn and carry on.

Muscle memory, stored
with the thousands of hugs
and squeezes, and pats on the back.
Also for bruises, scars, lacerations,
tears from dog bites, car accidents, stab wounds,
sports injuries and breaks, fights, rape,
and other superficial yet traumatizing
ticks of life's clock.

After all,
how do you know of life's bounty,
beauty, and goodness without the
opposition in all things.
So, for me, life is PRECIOUS and PRICELESS
and definitely worth the squeeze,
even if I'm suffocating.
Someone thinks I can handle it and
not break "Under Pressure"
(Miss those two greats and their poetry and difference and
beloved music SO MUCH!)

Time, the great healer,
the great revealer,
the greatest teacher of all,
for "nature's green is gold,
and nothing gold can stay."

The most unexpected joy,
after years of bathing my pillow in
tear-stained silent pleas to Heaven,
came at the most inconvenient,
financially broken time of my life--
my little boy--the first time I held him
I knew the greatest joy ever possible, and
a surety that he would forever be mine
and was always meant to be.

His tiny little finger wrapped around mine,
his sigh of contentment
as he nuzzled into my bare chest,
HIS.  I was his. 
Singing him to sleep every night,
telling him stories of Nana and Poppa,
watching my husband finally become
what he was always meant to be.
Brought me such joy
it overflowed, overwhelmed,
defied description or words.

Regardless of the mess
with the rest of our world
in these crazy days,
those little fingers wrapping
tight around my heart, around
my waist, around my neck,
squeezing tight,
little clear voice whispering,
"I love you Mommy"
refills my cup and my strength
and my drive to keep going.
As life truly is beautiful. 
A cherished gift.
This is gratitude. a mixed, motley, beautiful bag. 
Of "Joy and Pain, Sunshine, and Rain."

-------------------------------------------------------

Gratitude--lyrics by Oingo Boingo

"Life's been so good to me,
Has it been good to you?
Has it been everything
that you expected it to be?"
Now is that gratitude?
Or is it really love?
Some kind of reality
that fits just like a glove?
Now is that gratitude
for everything I've done?
Or is it something else
that's got me on the run?
In the middle of a big tornado,
on the tip of everyone's tongue,
in the belly of a giant whale
all the girls just wanna have fun.
In the look of a frightened neighbor,
in a big warm bed at night,
in a broken elevator,
in the teeth of a dog that bites.
In the middle of a revolution,
in the look of a child's face,
in the silence at the dinner table,
in the stillness of disgrace.
Now is that gratitude?

But when I think of you,
and what you've done to me,
you took away my hope,
you took away my fantasy....
I once had lots of pride,
the world was in my hands.
I lived way at the top,
in castles made of sand.
Ooooooohhhhhhhh, I dream of you sometimes."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

Tongue-tied