Spring is in The Air

This isn't  a poem, but poetic, at points.
But it's personal.  Powerful.  And poignant :)


OK, folks,
I know it's ONLY March,
but as we all know
that tempus fugit
AND 
that H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks
is paved with good intentions, etc. etc....


I've noticed myself slip-sliding away
from my goal of really getting "ME" together.

(Now, when I say "ME,"
really refer to
improving my health, my writing,
and finding a focus and strategy
that work for me,
that I'll ACTUALLY DO n stuff
to get writing more,
to get published,
and to
create my very own
professional freedom).


Well, UGH on that. 
Phooey!!
TPTHHH!!
Dislike!! 
Seriously....


I've had quite a bit of time to think,
as I took a break from work to help
care for my dad in his new cancer diagnosis and treatment. 

SO frustrated with my professional life,
I feel like I'm not truly doing
what I'm supposed to do--
what I'm MADE to do.
You know?

That my job, while so rewarding
in many ways,
in others, just "isn't ME."

And that time's just slipping away.
I have, for quite awhile now,
felt that I'm mixed up in this quicksand of sorts,
stuck and gradually sinking.....

I know I've been blogging, and
I have only recently recommitted to
reviving it with more regular rantings
(Love the alliteration, do we?  LOL). 

In moving, unpacking, and settling in,
I happily rediscovered some long-lost writings,
dusted them off, and reworked them. 

And new stuff? 
Yeah, you know, poetical even?
Hmmm, well....
New stuff has been a bit tougher
and slower to come by.
Come it does, though.
Dribble here, dribble there. 

Made me frustrated, it has. 
No fun, that.

Soooo, in delving into all the Tweetdom and
Twitterverse of the "Everlasting
Knowitall (gotta love me some Spaceballs)"
I stumbled across a great find--
on Jane Friedman (of Writer's Digest fame)'s blog
she cited a colleague of hers, Christina Katz.  

Curious, I was,
so I invested in and am currently reading
"The Writer's Workout" by Cristina Katz (A Writer's Digest book)--
and I am LOVING it so far.....
I hope to have it finished this weekend.....
and then to re-read it,
do the exercises, and apply it to me :)


I know I can. 
I know I can.

I resolved to map out a new plan that simplifies,
yet spells out all the goals I will accomplish on a daily basis. 
This feeds into my mid-term and longer-term goals in life.

My new plan to stick with until it becomes natural habit:
Every day starting from now on--
  • starts and ends with prayer,
  • 30 minutes of scripture study,
  • 30 minutes of writing ( which will evolve into at least
    1 written page a day, or a poem a day),
  • 30 minutes of fun/instructional/research/family history reading,
  • 30 minutes (at least) of walking or other physical activity,
  • faithful food journaling (no skipping),
  • daily meds/vitamins/supplements,...
  • BREATHING :),
  • at least 7 hrs of sleep a day,
  • and last, but NOT least--quality family time......

    Weekly review of accomplishments and goal setting,
    and gots the pottery bug again--craving the urge to get dirty
    and sling a little mud to get my creative juices flowing,
    so 2-3 times a week creative projects in clay, photography,
    or interior household decorating or renovation projects.....

    What this means for me and my life:  I have to focus, REALLY focus on the important,
    the "prize" if you will; apply works to my faith,
    as we are taught "Faith without works is dead."
    And be diligent
    And patient
    And persistent. 

    Have a problem with this, I have.
    Why I'm working on this, this is.

    I know if you write it down,
    it's more real than just talk--
    Talk is CHEAP,
    LIFE and DREAMS are PRICELESS.

    So, it's time to suck it up and
    DO WHAT I'M MEANT TO DO :)
    FOR REAL.
    FOR GOOD.
    FOR LIFE.

    I'm not tooting any horn here, I'm putting it out here to
    make me more accountable to myself:)

    This is the SPRING of my life,
    time to nurture and grow,
    inside and out :) 
    Not just March Madness--
    Spring Gladness--
    a time of renewal, of rebirth,
    of reawakening, if you will :)

    So, in reflecting upon my life, my goals,
    my direction, my purpose, and my drive;
    I am carving out a daily plan of success
    for my spiritual and physical and emotional health
    /creativity/balance/exercise--
    making time for God, for family, and
    for creativity. 

    Twyla Tharp said, "Creativity is a habit, and the best creativity
    is the result of good work habits."
    In the beginning of Katz's "The Writer's Workout"
    she coaches us writer types;
    so I'm gonna "work to write like I breathe--EVERY DAY,
    until the self-consciousness is banished and
    it's as easy and natural as breathing."


    ::::scribbling and doodling away::::

    Getting up off, off, OFF the couch,
    Standing up, up, UP from my desk,
    Feeling up, up, up, in my heart,
    Going on to
    Do, Do, Doodle Doodle Do :)

    That's my personal pledge to me.
    What about you?


    Written  by Eliza Jane Farley Gomez
    Friday, March 2, 2012

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Shave

    Walking in the Rain

    Tongue-tied