Marvel and Wonder

Note: 
OK, this is mushy me again, but from a different place...
 
You see, I began writing this after hearing my hubby talk about his experiences when he served as a full-time missionary for our church down in Argentina in the mid-1990s.  Listening to his stories filled with inspirational, transformational experiences, emotional tears, and personal reflections, I  caught a slight glimpse into the journey he took--before, during, and after his mission, and the sacrifice, the service, and the extreme joys and sorrows he must have gone through. 

There I was--totally speechless (and those of you who know me pretty well know how RARE that I am ever speechless)...I "sat All Amazed" at this man sitting across from me, bearing his soulful experiences and reflections....

One evening after listing to his mission stories,  noting especially the hardships he experienced as he tried making the transition back into regular life after his mission ended; I quietly gave thanks to my Heavenly Father (and have been doing so ever since) so much for the unbelievable man I married. 

I mean it--I truly hit the jackpot.  Yessirree, I suuuurrrrree did!!!

This is a different type of poem than I normally write--I normally don't write such obviously structured/rhyming schemes--but again, in the spirit of love and gratitude for the blessing of my husband in my life, I'm sharing :) 

Even to those of you kindred spirits that aren't of the same Mormon faith as I am, I hope that you may find this insightful as I openly share my creative expression from my heart.  Happy reading from this grateful heart o'mine :) 
Eliza



Served Him so valiantly,
worked day and night,
bringing souls unto Him,
showing them Light.

Used, broken, torn apart,
nothing left to give.
You gave your all
in lands non-native.

Living so humbly
in places so poor,
yet rich in their spirits,
with love flowing pure.

You worked hard among them,
toiled, labored, cried.
Meted out  justice
for some who denied

their calling and purpose
and went so astray,
leading lambs with them
far off and away.

But you, with your knowledge,
your power, your strength,
testified boldly,
called them to repent.

You bore witness of things
not of this world.
You pressed ever onward,
"Truth's banner unfurled."

Broken and hungry
to find those choice souls.
You promised to find them--
that tore at your soul.

Heart heavy, feet burning,
you strove to press on.
Ever working, ever faithful
'til the days finally gone.

You sobbed, deep with anguish--
You felt you had failed--
not finding those calling you!
Yet your work revealed

A marvel and wonder
the Lord made of you--
refining and molding
your Spirit into

the strength of a warrior
giving his might
to the cause of his Savior,
Choosing The Right.

You have served, you have tarried;
you have wept and have judged
with the heart of an angel.
You have learned how to love....

So tough to leave all that
behind and move on.
Worn out and weary,
unsure what would come....

Stripped of your mantel,
stricken with grief,
blamed self for failing,
you found no relief

in the daily and weekly,
in the months and the years.
You felt lost, grew bitter,
hiding away tears

in anger and antics
both beneath you, below
the you who you really are--
Satan knocked you down low.

How I ever found you,
I don't fully know.
How I wish I deserved you--
I wish I could show

how grateful I am
you served faithfully,
that you loved, worked, and found souls
down in Buenos Aires.

You are strong, you are chosen.
You are wise, you are bold.
You have much left to do here.
So much to uphold.

At times I sit, marvelling
at how you are mine,
as together we hold hands
throughout all time.

You're that part that completes me.
My balance, my strength.
My protector, my teacher.
Combined, we make sense.

That I deserve you,
I plain fail to see.
But my Savior must love me--
He gave you to me.

Para Mi Benjamin: con todo mi corazon, lleno de amor y agradecimiento para toda la eternidad....


Written by Eliza Jane Farley Gomez
Originally partial draft October 6, 2008; revised February 3, 2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

Tongue-tied