Caroling, Caroling, thru the SUN--Singing our Hearts Out this Christmas Eve



Wait, Wha??? Isn't it supposed to be "Caroling, caroling, through the SNOW?!!" 
Yeah, well, this is Christmas, "SO FLA STYLE," BAYBEE!!!
Where we have Rudolph the Red-beaked FLAMINGO and COCONUTS roasting on a sunny beach, and where we string rows of lights on PALM TREES and go to the BEACH Christmas Day...where we have BRIGHT, not WHITE Christmases :) 
Awww, I'm so sorry, they don't sell snow tires or window scrapers here--but we do have a nice assortment of boats, tarps, and you can always buy RAIN X to wipe across your windshield--that stuff is MAGIC, I tell ya.....
Ahhh, but alas, I digress....

This Christmas I had to spend apart from my folks and my brother--mostly because of my mom's fragile condition. 
I didn't like it.  Not one little bit!
Instead of moping around, feeling sad and blue and sorry for myself, I opted to spread a little cheer to those who likely could use it MUCH more than I....to some folks in local nursing homes.

A coworker who has her own company on the side invited us to go Christmas caroling with her to two local nursing homes in Ft. Lauderdale--one of which I knew quite well, as it was the place my Poppy spent his last few weeks alive. I hadn't been there since his passing, and I had no idea if and how I'd be able to sing without unleashing pent-up waterworks.  Those of you who know me KNOW that I am VERY emotional and quite prone to tears...although I personally prefer to call it "leaking" instead of "crying"....

Now, the hubby, even though he has an AMAZINGLY deep, dark, sexy, and BEAUTIFUL voice, never partakes of public singing--singing in the shower, YEP....singing thru the house--oh, YOU BETCHA...singing in the car, SUUUUREEEE.  Anything BUT group singing, like choirs, concerts, or carolling....

Thank GOODNESS for best friends, because my bosom buddies Jon n Gilma were game enough to come along and join in the fun.  Gotta just LOVE 'EM!!!! :)  TONS!!!

I called Mom to tell her what I'd be doing Christmas Eve, and she got all choked up with tears, touched and all by our willingness to go and visit these people who sometimes NEVER get any visitors, let alone get serenaded.  I told her we should probably give them complimentary ear plugs, as I'm not sure how wonderful we'd sound--but hey, we'd give it a try, and it's the thought that counts, right?

Well, we sure didn't sound like Mo Tab, or even some of the folks on American Idol--but I, for one, sure felt the beautiful Spirit with us as we sang, watching the residents respond to the Christmas Cheer we brought with us--smiling, crying, singing and clapping along.  Some took us by the hand, bestowed kisses on us, while others beckoned us to come inside their rooms so we could get a little closer :)

We met some lovely people and made some new friends, and came away with joy and gratitude in our hearts.  I, for one, can truly say that I got so much more in return than I personally gave to going along and singing with a bunch of folks I didn't really know. 

My coworker Cassandra put this video together on YouTube thru her company's name, Inspire Many.  I'm grateful to her for asking for folks willing to come along and lift up their voice and with her sing.

Enjoy, and don't laugh TOO hard at me making a fool outta my silly self!

Comments

  1. Love it! Thank you so much for coming Eliza you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!! I had a fabulous time and without you thre ..I dont know where we would be! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OK, y'all have been kind enough to "hear me out"& n stuff, so let me know whatcha think, if I've rattled yer cage, voiced a shared thought or concern, or if you're gonna attain Enlightenment upon reading these DEEP THOUGHTS, or if ya think I'm just plumb WACKO--but please be decent in your expression of your sentiments, there's no need to sling mud, unless we're in POTTERY CLASS or at the BEACH! Thanks for reading n stuff...Laters!

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

Walking in the Rain