Au Natural

I did it again.
Yes, ma’am,
I sure did.

Left the house again
without my face on.

Not quite
like getting my game on,
but a little like
putting war paint on.
Gearing up, getting ready
for battle for the day,
to face the world,
dare it to squint, to smirk,
to bat an eye at me
the wrong way--
nuh uh, no way!
Not today….

You heard me,
I said
“face-free,”
that means
no spackle, no cream,
no base, no powder
no shadow or dream
of what I seemed to be,
only yesterday--
just
what I am. 

And what is that?
Well? I'm waiting....

Am I
a woman, muse, wife,
daughter, deep thinker,
ruse to rile you up at night,
unsung super heroine,
a closet comedienne,
professional picture-
messer-upper?

Voila—c’est moi!!

Good enough
to drive to work
without accident
or incident,
unless you count
the lookers-on
who seemed to
part the waters,
so to speak,
as I dared to bare all. 
Of my face, that is.

Nice try, though….


What, no cat calls?
So!? 
Whatcha laughing at?
What’s so funny?

You act like
you ain’t never seen
a woman without her
fake face on before.
Oh, c’mon!

That’s right, go on,
Take a good look.
Eat your heart out!
No sunscreen, no primer.
Not microdermabraised.
Unplucked, uncovered,
yet completely
and utterly
desired.

No airbrush,
no photoshop,
no fake blush,
no photo-op,
pure me. 
No kidding.
Really.

Gotta be insane
to be seen out-of-doors
these days like that. 
Like what?
Like, really me.

Can’t paint-me-
by-number or
spray-tan me on in a pinch,
or
shimmer, satin, matte,
dab or pat it all smooth
like buttah.

(Don’t you go and “Sista” me,
Girl, PLEASE!)

Swirl, sparkle and shine me
into my state of Fineness,
call me HIGHNESS,
yes, you may,
because I can,
I just DID.

Can’t firm, tighten,
shrink-wrap me down,
I’m not down with that. 
Cut the crap!

I’m “kitchen-sink” size,
holding everything
good and plenty
that’s ME.
Eyes wide open
(fluttering beautifully)
to SEE what’s really
all around me.

Surrounded by
such surreality.

Grab me my jeans,
will ya,
the ones with a touch
of spandex,
the ones that can
give a little
as I live a little,
or a LOT.

Don’t go nip, tuck
and lypo-suck me
outta my freaking mind--
too harsh and unkind
in natural light,
naturally,
to the naked eye

Why do we bother
so carefully crafting that image,
calm, coiffed, controlled--
painting on our confidence
when our surfaces
crack, smear, and
run under pressure
in all kinds of weather and times?

Cover up
those cottage cheese thighs
all super-sized in the
hottest looks and
colors of the season.

Wiggle, jiggle,
go ahead and giggle!
Let it all hang out, now.
Mmmmm, mmmm,
so squishy and gooey-in-
the-middle--
This is how I belly roll,
stretch marks et al.
(call it belly dance, if you will.)
Hey, that’s just me.

Swab me
all paraben-free
Injecting me organically,
laugh line upon line.
Purely
chock full o’ sulfates,
dewy dimethicone
removes
unsightly undertones
of oiled youth
whitened tooth
faking truth

Zip it up, Put it away--
No product, no spray,
No dyes, all the way.
Just for one day.
Look, Love, and OWN
that face in the mirror.

Just for the day.
Be the way
you were created to be.
Set yourself FREE.
Enjoy your ME.

Go on, eat your heart out.

Feel me now?
Game on!

Written by Eliza Jane Farley Gomez
November 18, 2010
©2010 Eliza Jane Farley Gomez





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

OK, What exactly does "It is what it is" mean??!!!!