The D Word

I hate the D word,
really, I do….

(If you see what I see,
wouldn’t you, too?)

Why do we dwell on
the divergence,
the diversity,
the difference
of life?

D is for…

Dirty
Depressing
Difficult
Dull
Doomsday
Dumb-as-a-box-of-
(but, alas, I DIGRESS)….

I don’t mean to
get y’all
DOWN-in-the
dumps….
after all,
we don’t have
to live on the
down side, do we….

Don’t get me wrong,
now,
I DO
happen to know
D is for…
Divine
Deity
Delish
Delightful, as it were.

Well, DUHHH!!!!
Ya big DUMMY!

Are we not
all of us
created in
God’s image?
Male and female--

Doesn’t
that
mean
we
are
all
the
SAME
and
NOT
DIFFERENT?

Yet, “Different,” you say,
“is good,” you say,
“is special,” you say,
“is set apart”—

Well,
I couldn’t
disagree
MORE….

Why do we
break ourselves
up from the
rest of the
group of
humanity--
is it vanity,
insecurity,
or PRIDE?

Why must we
hide behind
labeling others
(like we label
ourselves) for
the comfort
of our own
little cubby holes
and categories?

Why can’t we
just let it BE?
“Live United,”
not divided
into those
cozy little labels.

Scatter-the-gories and
let Life tell the story
of the you-
and-the-me
of the US,
of the WE.

We are different,
Yes, we are—
in a sense,
that’s true.
That’s beautiful.
BUT we’re
more the same,
more alike
than not--

We’ve got
to stop
looking
at
(and dissecting)
the
individual
parts,
but, instead,
at the
sum of our
collective souls,
minds, hearts,
energies,
talents,
gifts.

Get my drift?

Sure, go ahead,
celebrate diversity,
celebrate life.
Celebrating is good.

But
don’t
ignore
Inclusion.
Feel it. See it.
Know it. Be it.
Live it. Breathe it.
Love it. Teach it.
DO IT.

No matter how different
we may be,
we’re more the same
underneath it all--
All God's kids.
All loved.
All Divine,
unlimited in our potential.

Peel back the skin
and you’ll see,
you’ve got the
same blood,
same bones,
same guts as me.
Same hopes,
same fears,
same dreams as me.

Same you. Same me.
Same Difference.

Damn,
there’s that D word again….

©2010 Eliza Jane Farley Gomez
Written by Eliza Jane Farley Gomez
October 8, 2010





Comments

  1. Doggone...ya done it again.

    Loved it.

    LIF Sr.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OK, y'all have been kind enough to "hear me out"& n stuff, so let me know whatcha think, if I've rattled yer cage, voiced a shared thought or concern, or if you're gonna attain Enlightenment upon reading these DEEP THOUGHTS, or if ya think I'm just plumb WACKO--but please be decent in your expression of your sentiments, there's no need to sling mud, unless we're in POTTERY CLASS or at the BEACH! Thanks for reading n stuff...Laters!

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

Walking in the Rain