Knowing


I lie awake at night,
wonder how you are,
knowing you're so far away.
So I fluff up my pillows,
and I tug at the covers.
Tomorrow's another day….
And I pretend that I'm smiling--
that I really believe it--
when I wake with the taste
of your smile on my tongue.

I walk through the house at night,
wonder where you are,
knowing you're too far away.
So I sit in the kitchen
in a tank top, sip cocoa
to the ticking of the clock.
Tomorrow's on its way….
And I make like I'm laughing--
that I can't wait to feel it--
when I wake with the warmth
of your laughter in my ear.

I go to sleep at night,
wonder how you are,
knowing you're just far away.
So I scratch my dog good-night,
and I stretch in the cool bed.
Tomorrow I'll be okay….
And I laugh, 'cause I'm smiling--
and I just can't believe it--
when I wake with the smell
of the sun on my face.

(Written by Eliza Jane Farley Gomez 10/20/96, published in 1997, rev. 7/22/10)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

OK, What exactly does "It is what it is" mean??!!!!