Inaugurally yours....
OK, I guess it's about time that I finally put myself out there in bloggsville; I mean, after all, just about everyone I know seems to have one--"everyone's doing it, so why not ME??" is the rationale I'm using at present. And for those of you who know me, you KNOW how opinionated I am, and much of what I think seems to draw either chuckles or gasps, or even eye-rolling. So, in the spirit of expressing my true self, here ya go.....
Since it's the start of a new year, and a new regime, I keep the quote in my head, "Hope springs eternal." Now, I know that politically and socially, our current system seems to be broken; but hopefully, not irreparably so. That depends on the folks on which it rests--US. Yup, WE the PEOPLE....From the lowest levels of our individual households, to our neighborhood associations, to local city/township communities, to counties, to states, to regions, to the FEDERAL level--it all begins with US. What will each of us do differently today...this year? How will each of us try to make things a little bit better than what currently is the "status quo"? How can each of us, in the words of Gordon B. Hinckley, "Stand a little taller" and "Be the change you wish to see in the world?"
All it takes it the conscious decision to get a bit more involved...reach out and volunteer to help, whether it's a neighbor, a local charitable organization, or simply your own family or friends....Become part of the process that IS COMMUNITY...That's the first, and such an important step.
From there, you will soon see that you indeed count, you indeed make a difference, and you indeed can change the direction of our society.
I work in local government in a role that deals with helping those who truly cannot help themselves--the poor, the frail, the hurting, the impoverished--the "underbelly of society" as it were....and I've learned an awful lot about politics, about charity, about sensitivity, and about those who also learn to manipulate and work the system for their own lazy, selfish gain. Even learned me lots about what people have come to identify as "typical government workers." Sure, they're out there, stagnant, wall-eyed, sittin round just to "collect a paycheck" for the smallest amount of effort possible. But they're not the RULE, I'm finding, at least not where I work--they're the EXCEPTION.

But, what I will tell you is this--these days in our country's current financial/social/political situation, there are way more people who honestly need help than there are those who are trying to milk the system. That's why I care--That's why I try my hardest to make that smallest bit of difference. And that's why I have faith that each of us can make positive change and why I'm still hopeful that this new administration will be better than what we've had for the previous 8 years (or even longer)....But what I don't have time for is people who complain and don't do a dang thing to try to help the situation, people who run their mouths but not their hands, or even their voting ballots....that, to me, is simply being "INCONCEIVABLE!"

Comments

  1. Let me be the forst to say "HA HA I got the first post!"

    Now, Miss "Blond" thang. Shallow or Deep, your thoughts are right on point. The change we need starts at home. Most of us won't be able to stand at the steps of Congress and give our allegience to Lobbyists while saying "I'm doing this because "the people don't fully understand just how much I can help them""
    Wait, was that a double quote? Now who's blond?

    Seriously though, the surest was to effect change is to start at home. Raise a good family. Teach our children correct principles so that they can govern themselves. And wherever that can't happen, we allow our friends to help.

    America has forgotten how to serve. And until we can get back to basics we will continue full throttle down a very dark path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, call me martha rae. Girl you have cracked me up for over twelve years and you just keep on goin' like that energizer bunny

    You're right--we need to reach out and help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, shucks, Pammers, darlin, I think my batteries need a rechargin or somethin :) Or some twizzlers :) Maybe that is what my prrrroooolemmmmm eeessss, I need some twizzlers :) Yer page/column thingy that you got goin is AWESOME and YOU INSPIRE moi!!!!! The main raisin I started this thing up is to kick myself in the twizzz to get writin non-poetically so I can get me a book done written....
    And to reveal to the masses just now nutty I really is :) MUAH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OK, y'all have been kind enough to "hear me out"& n stuff, so let me know whatcha think, if I've rattled yer cage, voiced a shared thought or concern, or if you're gonna attain Enlightenment upon reading these DEEP THOUGHTS, or if ya think I'm just plumb WACKO--but please be decent in your expression of your sentiments, there's no need to sling mud, unless we're in POTTERY CLASS or at the BEACH! Thanks for reading n stuff...Laters!

Popular posts from this blog

Shave

Tongue-tied